A Safe Hatch
When I speak of a safe hatch I am not referring to the infamous hatches as discovered on the television show LOST (abc), I am speaking of "drop-off" hatches set up in Japanese hospitals.
(Yes, I love LOST-- did you see it last night?! Locke going.. well I won't spoil it if you haven't seen it).
A hospital in Japan has decided to set up drop-off hatches for unwanted babies (CNN).
Despite that Japan does not have laws or cultural/religous taboos against abortion, there has been an increasing problem of newborn babies being abandoned in publics areas. It is expected that this hatch will be open in approximately 3-4 weeks.
The idea is that a window hatch would allow unwanted infants to be given up anonymously, ultimately decrease the number of the abandoned. Some argue that this outlet will encourage parents to give up newborn children, however, the hospital maintains that it is just trying to save lives.
How it works?
A person could walk up to the outside of the hospital and place the newborn through a window and into an infant incubator (isolette). At this point an alarm will notify staff that an infant has been placed inside. The hospital will care for and raise the babies until they are able to be given up for adoption.
The plan has been supported by local government but completely slammed by federal government. Prime Minister Shinzo Abe claims "it's unforgivable that mothers and fathers will be allowed to abandon their babies anonymously." Other government officials called it "fundamentally unacceptable."







2 comments:
Japan is not the first to come up with newborn "drop offs". There are states that have programs in place that allow anyone to drop off their newborn/infant at a fire dept, police dept, or ER without consequence.
True!
Post a Comment