12.06.2006

Dear Mr. Congressman

"Mankind will never see an end of trouble until... lovers of wisdom come to hold political power, or the holders of power... become lovers of wisdom."
Plato

Support the Preemie Act!

Here was my letter to my congressman regarding the Preemie Act:

"My name is ________. I participate with the March of Dimes and I work as a nurse in a neonatal intensive care unit, so the Preemie Act is of extreme importance to me. I know that Congress is adjourning shortly for the year and it concerns me that the Preemie Act has continued to remain "pending" in Chairman Barton's committee for over two years. As you know, the Preemie act is a bill intended to reduce preterm labor and delivery and the risk of deaths/complications related to pregnancy, as well as reduce infant mortality related to preterm birth.

I am requesting that Rep. Barton and Majority leader Boehner are asked to vote on S. 707 before congress adjourns.
As a NICU nurse I have been personally involved and affected by preterm birth. The importance and impact of preterm birth has major consequences to families, as well as society (a significant financial burden) and it is often overlooked by those who have not been affected. A child's stay in the NICU, especially a premature infants, is usually fairly long term and extremely costly for families and for the government, which makes prevention necessary. Increasing research and education funds would allow for more thorough examination of the factors contributing to preterm birth and ultimately would reduce rates of premature labor and delivery, reducing infant mortality.

The bill has already passed in the Senate and is waiting to be passed in the House. The Preemie Act will save lives. Please make this a priority.
Thank you."


Okay, so you know what... my letter to a congressman may not make any difference in the world, but at least I know I tried.
Go here to obtain your Representative's information. I sent a message online. Request that he/she ask Reps. Barton and Boehner to put the Preemie Act on the House floor for a vote.

Why, you ask?
(this was copied from a March of Dimes email)
" The PREEMIE Act has strong bipartisan support and 97 House co-sponsors.

The PREEMIE Act is desperately needed to stem the growing crisis of preterm birth.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) reports that more than 500,000 babies are born too soon each year. Since 1981, that number has increased by over 30%.

The National Academy of Sciences (Institute of Medicine) estimates the economic burden of preterm birth in the US was at least $26.2 billion in 2005, or $51,600 per infant born preterm. Approximately half of the cost of health care is borne by employers and families with the remainder billed to Medicaid, S-CHIP and other public programs."


Get invovled!

1 comment:

Mother Jones RN said...

Thank you for bringing this important issue to our attention. I'm sending my letter off in Monday's mail.

MJ