I speak another language. . .
It is called... medical language. I use (we all) use words, acryonmns, certain numerical values that mean absolutely nothing to anyone outside of the medical community. Think about it... even each speciality has a vocabulary that is specific to that field. This is all great, but I wish I spoke Spanish. Seriously.
Wow am I glad that is over. Last night... sucked.. for a lack of a better term. It was one of those days where nothing goes right (or at least I feel as if I am doing everything wrong). My blood kept clotting, I couldn't remember how to do lines, and at about 2am I was sure my stomach was going to explode I felt so sick.
Good points to the night: one of my favorites doctors was working and I got paid more hourly (hurrah differentials) for doing the same work... just at night.
We started off with 2 kids and had the DR (delivery room) pager. We got an admission right in the beginning of the night. I, personally, have not had an admission yet (which is a whole new can of worms? ball of yarn?) at least I hadn't up until last night. Admitting kids are definitely something I need more exposure to because there is so much to do in such a short period of time. Apparently, November 1st I will be off orientation. Eh.
I did get to see a babe "surfed."
Survanta (Infasurf) is a lung surfactant (protein deriven from calf lungs that is similar to the fluid in our lungs) that helps the lungs to function better. It is commonly given to preemie babes with premmature lungs to improve functioning when lungs aren't fully developed or they are experiencing respiratory distress. The goal: to improve oxygenation and protect the lungs.
Most babies in our NICU require respiratory support, but aren't necessarily intubated (tube inserted into the trachea in order for a ventilator to help the baby breathe). Survanta is administered through an ETT (endotracheal tube) and the baby is turned to each side for optimal absorption. If the baby does not need ventilator support, he/she will be "surfed." The neonatologist or NNP will put an ETT down just to administer the Survanta then pull it out. Nothing exciting, but good to see. Next time I will probably have to help position the baby and [ambu] bag the baby during administration.
I also had a kid that was loaded with Congenital anomalies (VSD, ASD, cleft palate, musculoskeletal and cranial abnormalities). Tests are still out to figure out what is going with this kid and it will be interesting to see it unfold. People who work with babies know what a "neuro" cry sounds like. I had not up until last night but it sounds like a shriek or cat crying. There is a syndrome called Cri Du Chat Syndrome, but that has been ruled out. The kid was a big kid (nicknamed tubby) and was inconsolable, although a mobile with music seemed to help. Because they are still trying to figure out exactly what is going on with this kid.
The night ended on a better note: my schedule is out for the holidays and guess who has night shift on Thanksgiving and NY's? Yes, me. I knew those were my holidays to work, but still... oh well.
So, November 1.. mark your calendars (okay you don't have to... but I will mark mine anyway). I can't believe it. Sometimes I feel ready then other times I have nights like last night that make me want to crawl into a hole (or be transfered to well baby nursery).
"Experience is not what happens to a man. It is what a man does with what happens to him."
Aldous Leonard Huxley







No comments:
Post a Comment