10.02.2006

Am I seeing what I think I am seeing?

I have been watching "Medical Incredible" on Discovery Health channel and I have been blown away by some of the stories. Actually one of the stories involved my hospital. For the particular thing they were talking about the narrator stated that we are well known for this and then went on to pronounce the name of the hospital wrong. Can you believe that? It is pretty funny actually. You would have thought that they would have talked to someone actually at the hospital who pronounced it correctly. Haha. I work there and not once have I heard the pronunciation that the Discovery channel used.

Over the weekend I started this book... The Memory Keeper's Daughter


The book is about a man, a father who is a doctor in the 1960's. During a snowstorm the doctor was forced to deliver his own children (surprise, there are actually two). The first child, a boy, was born healthy. Once the second child was born, it was immediately apparent that this child had down's (slanted eyes, epicanthal folds, flat bridged nose). In the heat of the moment, the doctor (trying to save his wife from emotional hurt in the future) gave away the child to his nurse and told her to take the child to an institution. The nurse, after deeming the institution unfit, decided to keep the baby and thought that the doctor would come to his senses and want the child back. Within days after the birth, the doctor told his wife that the second baby was born "blue." She never got over the loss.
All of this happens in the beginning of the book and the book goes on to discuss the family and the consequences of the doctor's decision on that fateful night.


Eagles play tonight... woot woot. I still have one more day off after today. Please don't make me go back there!

Today's Quote:
"When you arise in the morning, think of what a precious privilege it is to be alive - to breathe, to think, to enjoy, to love."
Marcus Aurelius

1 comment:

Dr. A said...

Great quote!