The Lady with The Lamp
"Were there none who were discontented with what they have, the world would never reach anything better."
Florence Nightingale


How did Florence Nightingale become known as "The Lady with the Lamp?"
As her career progressed, Florence Nightingale focused more on administration than on actual bedside nursing, however she continued to visit the wards.
I have read mixed versions of why she became known as the lady of the lamp and some stating that there is no truth in her walking around with a lamp in hand.
What I have found (and what I would like to believe) is that during the Crimean War she walked the long 4 miles of the hospital every night and her rule that she be the only woman in the wards at night earned her the title.
"Here at whatever hour you come, you will find light and help and human kindness."
Inscription on the lamp outside Albert Schweitzer's Hospital in Africa







No comments:
Post a Comment