"This is the reason why your headache didn't go away: That's actually pronounced analgesic, not anal-gesic. Sir, the pills go in your mouth."
Dr. Turk, Scrubs
Sometimes it is the little and silly things that can really make you laugh. After a night like last night... *sigh*
It has been expressed so frequently that there is nursing shortage and it is getting worse. Yawn. Yes, I said it again!
What does that mean? For most.. it is probably shrugged off. I am making that assumption because I know that before I was a nurse I had no idea what understaffed actually meant. I can't speak for other units (although I am assuming it is quite similar) but being understaffed in a NICU is dangerous. Not only is it not safe.. it is not healthy for the baby (including family) or the nurse (including all healthcare professionals involved).
What does a nursing shortage mean to me?
Medical errors. Haste. Fatigue. Wrong medications given or incorrect dose. Wrong fluid hung. Maybe correct IV fluid, but at the wrong rate.
Poor patient care. I am reminded of the phrase, "squeaky wheel gets the oil." The baby who is desating or crying gets the attention over the quiet, sleeping baby.. even if it is their time to be had. Medications are late or not given. Food is late. Diapers go long past when changing was needed. Are you frustrated yet? We are too. Poor communication between the doctors, nurses, social workers, family. Information looked over. What can you do when medications are due, labs are to be drawn at a certain time, xray comes, now the other baby is desating. Can someone else lend a hand? Ah, herein lies the problem. There isn't always someone to lend a hand.
Burn out. Working 12 hr shifts with hopefully a short break, then at least (again.. hopefully) a 30 minute lunch. Of course, what if there just isn't time? You go with breaks, which furthers the fatigue. You aren't providing the care that you WANT to provide because of priorities. You get frustrated, which only makes the situation worse. Morale of the entire unit suffers.
Overall I think that where I work we really pull together as a team and try to help each other out but I know places that don't. Are similar things happening on all units? Definitely. The nursing shortage is severe and is hurting everyone.
3.20.2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)







No comments:
Post a Comment